The Reading Rush - Day 2

The Reading Rush
- Day 2 -


Hello flowery readers,
next day, next update on my reading. I want to do something like a written vlog, as I always do for this Read-A-Thon, I like writing about my day and my first impressions on the books I'm reading.


So, day 2 went wonderfully. I immediately changed my Tbr, as I normally do, and picked up "A Monster Calls" by Patrick Ness, using it for the prompt of "reading a book in a genre you want to read more of". It was a re-read for me, as I firstly read it when I was little, but I didn't remember the story i only know that I liked it a lot. It was such a quick read, in the sense that I finished it early in the afternoon, but I really liked it.
I enjoyed Ness' writing style, which is very simple, but with beautiful dialogues and stories within the main story. Also the monster himself was such a twisted character, gentle and comprehensive at times, terrible and cruel in other occasions. His role in the story is so touching, but now I realize that I didn't get it when I first read it, it only seems to me a Fantasy story that was really sad. Now everything makes more sense.
I also really liked the illustrations in it, they give so much more depth to the story and make it more appealing and also frightening to the younger audience it is referred to.
I'm glad I re-read it, so that I can fully get all the magic of it. What I need to do in the near future is to read more of his novels, I know that the are going to surprise me.

Having completed my book for the day I didn't have the motivation to do much more. I waited a little, watching BookTube videos (mostly TRR vlogs) and going on The Reading Rush website. However I finally decided to start something new, meaning "Beloved" by Toni Morrison.
From the start I noticed that it was a very strange story, because of the way it is told, constantly going from the present to the past and intertwining those two time periods. Other that that it mixes legends and myths in a story for which the author got the idea from real events. The writing style is peculiar too, it combines all this aspects together, without letting the reader comprehend what is going on, it's brutal, it makes you suffer because it describes in detail the horrible things that are happening to the characters
I read it really slowly, I couldn't connect with the story, but after a few chapters things got better. However i didn't finish it.

Pages read: 266
Books finished: 1
Challenges completed: 1
Tea counter: 3

*If you want to check it out, here is my profile for TRR.

Have you read any of those books?
Which novel by Patrick Ness should I read next?
I hope your reading is going well



Comments