The Reading Rush - Day 4

The Reading Rush
- Day 4 -


Hello flowery readers,
so, day four of TRR. I finally finished "Beloved" by Toni Morrison for the prompt of "reading a book set in a different continent from where you live" and it was such a difficult read, I'm so happy that it's over.


As I already told you, it's a very confusing book, because you never know if something is really happening or if it's only a dream, a memory or something that the character exaggerates. Other that that the writing style is very harsh, it describes abuses and violence in detail and I felt really upset because of that. It certainly left an impression on me, but I don't know if it's a positive one yet. I think i have to let the story sink in and wait.
In addition I hated most of the characters and being a very character-driven reader I was annoyed by that. The characters are so incomprehensible for me, they do things that are never really explained, at least two of them are mad, in the sense that they have a sort of mental illness, but no one talks about it or tries to take them to a doctor. And these moments of madness that they go through are described through strange images, that make you doubt what you are reading and it's real impact on the story. In particular I hated Beloved, she made me feel uncomfortable, she's so angry and violent and spoiled and makes other characters suffer so much.

And that's it. I spent the whole day reading it, wanting to finish it and in the end turning that last page at 11.15 p.m. I was over it, it was so stressing for me trying to understand it and I had the strong desire for it to finish quickly. But it's a pretty long book, so I struggled a lot. 
Nevertheless this was an interesting experience, a shocking one, but it also made me realize so many things I know nothing about, mostly regarding slavery. 

Pages read: 250
Books finished: 1
Challenges completed: 1
Tea counter: 3

Have you read something from this author? Would you recommend another of her books to me?
Happy reading and until next time




Comments